Mold can sneakily invade your home, as soon as it finds its way inside. The more moisture, the better. It nests in a dark, wet place and it can spread considerably before you even notice it is there. Yes, it sounds as awful as something out of a horror Sci-Fi movie, but the best course of action is reaction.
As soon as you notice an indication of mold, it is vital to do something to prevent putting yourself in danger. Despite cleaning regularly and fixing leaks right away, I was still having problems with mold occasionally so I talked to the experts at Emergency Mold Solutions to learn more on how to best deal with it with the things I have at home.
How to recognize mold
Mold usually grows in dark and moist areas of your home. It is pretty easy to spot these mold-infested areas. Mold often appears in the shape of black spots.
As soon as you notice something like that, you can attempt to get rid of it with chemicals you already have at home. The sooner you react, the better, because the larger it grows, the harder it is to make it go away.
Bleach should work on mildew, but there are other types which may be more resilient and may require a more aggressive approach. It is worth noting that some types of mold are more toxic than others. If you have respiratory problems or allergies, it is best to seek help from pros.
Tools and protection
Dealing with mold on your own isn’t as simple as removing with a knife. Mold spores produce particles that can be harmful if you inhale them or they end up in your eyes.
Some parts of mold might stick to your clothes, and if you think that throwing it in the washer will help you get rid of it, think again. It is not recommended to wash mold-infested clothes in the washing machine with your other stuff. This is why it is best to use old clothes you plan to dispose of anyway. Gloves, glasses and masks are a must if you want to be sure nothing gets through.
Since mold can be air-borne, it is crucial to seal off the area. Turn off any furnaces or air conditioning you might have in there, and prepare clothes, protection, disinfectants and other equipment you might need. Do not forget to thoroughly wash yourself when you are done, before you get in contact with food, furniture or other members of your family.
Before you start make sure you check everything on your list of necessary equipment. Old clothes, protection for your head and hands and chemicals you’d use to get rid of mold. When you do find black spots, you need to dig deeper to find the source. Don’t be afraid to remove that part of the wall, because you want and have no choice but to remove the affected part of the surface anyway.
People usually use borax. Borax is a white powder you mix with water and then apply to the mold-affected area. You should leave the area to dry, and while that process is ongoing you can collect all the debris and put them in a garbage bag. After the surface is dry you need to rub it with a dry piece of cloth. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to clean the debris you didn’t pick up and then use negative air machines to diffuse bad smell or particles. You can also use vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide as means for mold disposal.
Help from a professional
If you don’t feel confident enough, or you are worried about the quality of the job you would do yourself, you should call professionals who deal with these problems on a daily basis. This service will ensure all the necessary precautions are taken taken, and the mold problem is fixed.