Linksys Wi-Fi extender enhances existing Wi-Fi signals and overall signal quality to increase your router’s range. There are two ways of Linksys extender setup – using the WPS button or using the web-based setup. Read this article to know – how to setup a linksys range extender using WPS. But before you initiate the WPS setup; it is crucial to familiarize yourself with the extender’s LEDs and buttons.
Linksys Extender Setup – LED description
Observing the changes in LED lights during the Linksys extender setup helps to emit unwanted errors. Here is the brief description of each of the extender’s LED:
Connection status indicator: This LED reflects the connection between the Wi-Fi extender and the router.
Line connection status as per the light colors:
• Stable green: the best connection.
• Stable amber: good connection.
• Steady red: Poor connection.
• Off: No connection.
Power indicator: This LED glows when the Wi-Fi extender is turned on.
PC connection indicator: This LED gets light up when the Wi-Fi extender is connected to a computer or other mobile device.
Linksys Wireless Extender Setup – Button description
The side panel has the following buttons:
Power Switch – Turn the device on and off.
WPS one-click encryption button – Works with wireless devices that support one-click encryption for a fast and secure connection. Press this button and the extender enters the WPS search mode. All indicators on the board flash. Also, there is a reset button which is located at the bottom of the device. To empty the extender configuration, insert a paper clip into the reset hole. Keep pressing and hold until the power light is blinking. The extender will restart after releasing the button. Once started, it will restore to factory settings which is very beneficial in issues like cannot open extender.linksys.com.
Installation Steps for Linksys Wi-Fi extender
Installation is simple as – “Place the Wi-Fi extender, plug it in, and connect it to the Wi-Fi network.” Provided that, you precisely follow the steps given below:
1. Place the Wi-Fi extender in the same room as the Wi-Fi router for executing the extender setup. (This is only required during the initial installation and setup.)
2. Plug the Wi-Fi extender into a power outlet and wait one minute. The power indicator lights up in green. If the power indicator is off, press the power button switch.
3. Connect to a Wi-Fi extender In order to expand the coverage of the Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi extender must be connected to the existing Wi-Fi – the internet.
There are two ways to choose:
• Connect using WPS.
• The alternative is connecting using the Linksys wifi extender login portal that is called Web based WPS Setup.
Connect using WPS
This process is applicable only for those models that have the WPS button. It is recommended to always use Wi-Fi Protected Setup for such models. With WPS setup, additional network name and password can also be added to secure your Wi-Fi network.
Note: WPS does not support WEP wireless encryption.
Connect using WPS:
1. Locate and press the WPS One Touch button on the Wi-Fi extender.
2. Within two minutes, press the WPS button on your Wi-Fi router, gateway, or access point. The connection status indicator on the Wi-Fi extender lights up and the Wi-Fi extender is connected to the existing Wi-Fi network.
Tip: If the connection status indicator does not light, power cycle the extender and then try again. If it still does not light, please refer to Web based WPS setup steps given below.
Web Based WPS Setup
For web based WPS setup, you need a laptop or computer connected to internet and the execution of the steps given below:
- Connect your device any laptop or computer to the extender’s network.
- Then login to the web based portal of the extender – extender linksys com using a web browser.
- Refer to the user-manual for the login credentials.
- Click on Wi-Fi protected setup.
- Now you have three options – pressing the WPS button and/or providing the WPS PIN and/or connecting using the Router’s PIN.
- Observe the change in the connection status indicator on the front panel to determine the placement of the Wi-Fi extender and you have achieved the Linksys Extender Setup Success.
———– For any needed assistance for WPS setup, leave a comment below.—————-