Apps are known to make our lives easier and increase work efficiency. Most of us, even for small tasks, rely on our mobile phones since they are convenient. Although the advantages of apps don’t limit to individuals only, these applications allow businesses to reach wider audiences and expand their services. There is actually a long list of reasons why businesses create apps for their users. While there are various platforms available, one of the top preferences of businesses to create apps is cross development platform approach. Persistence Market Research (PMR) predicts the revenue of the cross app development industry worldwide to reach US$ 120 billion in 2023. Keep reading, as in this article, we will learn about cross-platform app development.
What is Cross Platform?
Cross-platform development is a groundbreaking app development strategy. It allows developers to design and develop app solutions using a single code. So what’s great about that? Now, here is the catch! These app solutions will work smoothly on various operating systems and devices on a unified code, removing the need of creating separate applications for dedicated systems. It is like having a universal sauce that works perfectly with all recipes, delivering consistent flavors and taste. Hence, apps created using cross-development approach will work on both iOS as well as Android without the need to recode them for individual platforms.
Benefits of Cross Platform Development
1. Reusable Code
One of the most crucial benefits of cross-platform is that it doesn’t require you to write multiple codes for different systems. Just a single codebase works with multiple targeted platforms. This reduces the need of spending efforts on repetitive tasks, leading to less workload. Hence, you can effortlessly create apps that run smoothly on Android and iOS.
2. Time Efficiency
When you’re working under a constrained time frame, cross-platform apps can be better than native apps. With cross-platform development app approach, less is more as a shared codebase reduces the need of creating same features for different operating systems. Hence saving a lot of time and letting you focus on other important tasks.
3. Cost Efficiency
Cost is a paramount factor when one looks for creating apps as no matter how much you spend, it still won’t be enough. However, if you’re tight on budget, this unified code base solution works wonders for you as it will reduce development and maintenance cost. On the other hand, native app development approach will turn out to be expensive where you will need to write separate codes for dedicated systems.
4. Broad Audience Reach
Cross-platform approach works as an all-rounder solution. The app development technique turns out to be user-centric in terms as it allows you to conveniently use your app without switching devices. With compatibility reasons your users will prefer app solutions that are versatile and don’t constrain them.
5. Accelerated Time To Market
One of the crucial aspects of an approach that makes them effective is their response. The fast-moving world requires agile solutions, which means apps should be flexible enough to be customized or transformed when need arises. Only such solutions can help you stand out in the competitive space. Moreover, due to their adaptable and fluid nature, cross-platform apps take less time to market which leads to expedited results.
Top Cross Platforms For App Development
Cross-platform development covers up a broader concept which includes various tools which are frameworks for creating applications that work on multiple platforms. Flutter, React Native, Xamarin, Ionic, etc are popular frameworks that assist us with a comprehensive set of tools for creating apps. Companies hire top cross-platform app development services for creating apps enriched with functionalities of the platform. Let us learn about some popular cross-development frameworks.
Flutter is among the top popular cross-platform frameworks that comes from the arsenal of Google. The open-source UI development framework uses Dart language for building apps. Some of the popular companies that have embraced Flutter frameworks for creating apps are Tencent, Alibaba, ByteDance, eBay etc.
- Known for its ability of creating application that competes performance of native apps
- Ability to use a share code use for developing applications that work smoothly on iOS and Android
- Features a wide range of widget library packed with tools that facilitate efficient app development
- Hot reloading features provides quick changes and opportunities of real-time feedback to speed up development process
- Developers consider its UI consistency as one of the crucial reason for app development preferences
2. React Native
Another popular cross-platform framework that developers prefer is React Native, which is developed by Facebook. The app development framework lets you use a shared codebase for creating apps that seamlessly work on both Android and iOS. Some of the popular apps that have used React Native for app development are Facebook, Uber, Instagram, Airbnb, etc.
- The fast refresh feature allows developers to notice quick changes during app development
- Greater focus on UI that enables creation of tailored and responsive app user interface
- Backed by strong community of developers that allows access to features rich widgets, tools and libraries
Xamarin is a cross app development framework owned by Microsoft. The open source app development framework uses C# and .NET for developing applications that work on multiple platforms. Alaska Airlines, Fresh Direct, Storyo, and many other companies have utilized Xamarin for creating their app.
- C# used by framework to build cross platform application is easy to learn
- UI elements in framework provide consistent app experiences to users over different platforms
- Seamless integration with Microsoft’s Visual Studio that offers suitable environment for C# developers
- Xamarin has a strong and support of developer community across the world that uses C#,C, C++ languages
- Allows you to create apps that provide native-like experiences on Android and IOS devices
- Features rich UI components for developing visually appealing and functional apps
- The frameworks leverage familiar languages which makes it accessible to broad range of developers
- Support from the large and active community of developers that provide wealth of useful tools and plugins for app development
So here we learned about cross app development platforms and some of its popular frameworks.
Building apps using a cross platform approach can do wonders for you, however, consider the right framework choice for your app development needs!
A thoughtful advice is to hire a reliable support who can help you achieve success in your app creation endeavor.
For instance you can consider a top web and mobile app development company in India, as here you will find skilled professionals and cost-effective solutions.